Backstabbing. The essential backbone of friendship, defined by Ambrose Bierce as: "A ship big enough to carry two in fair weather, but only one in foul."
What foul weather we've encountered. I don't need Dick Goddard to tell me that this will end badly, as badly as it's progressed for the last two weeks.
It takes adversity to know which definition of friendship really fits a particular situation. And I've had all the clues I need to know that Mr. Bierce had Gabriella in mind when he defined friendship. Ever since Chris and I decided to get back together she's been on the periphery, waiting (and not waiting) to cause trouble. Whether it's calling me to recount what "my boyfriend" has been saying to her (and claiming that she wants nothing to do with him) or it's getting drunk and throwing herself at him in front of everybody, she's demonstrated that she's selfish and would much rather have what she wants than honor a friendship.
And it's funny...the first betrayal in all this was hers as well. Despite the fact that I'm "such a good friend" of hers, she felt no compunction about making out with my ex-boyfriend regardless of what impact that may have on our relationship. When all was said and done, though, she wasn't even the one to tell me. Unfortunately, instead of taking that for what it was I decided to forgive her the slight. It never sat well, though, and when Chris and I did make up I knew that there was trouble on the horizon.
Boy, has she delivered. She's willing to say just about anything about anybody, and still thinks that she's the one who comes out on top in all of this. I don't think she has a clue that she is almost universally despised among those who consider me a friend. Her habits are loathsome, and the fact that she would be so two-faced makes her completely unsavory.
I'm still carrying around a lot of anger on the issue...I suppose, though, that 1: it's better to know the truth; and 2: I've come out on top, because Chris loves me.
...not that it matters...he didn't want her anyway.
Saturday, October 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment